Michael and Therese

While in Sydney, I received the news of the marriage of my brother Michael to our cousin Therese Yammouni, on the island of Cyprus year 1976, I composed this poem especially for the happy occasion.


O Cyprus!
For God’s sake let me know
How my tears become so bountiful
And my heart throbbing sturdily
O Cyprus!
On my behalf,
Decorate your city squares
And embrace my brother so tenderly.
O My neighbour!
Congratulate Therese - His bride
And from your flowers
Give them a gift
And let a choir of birds
Sing in their wedding!
George, her father
And her mother Carmen
So happy for their obedient daughter!
To his daughter-in-law
My father said:
Your wishes will be granted
Your aunt Patronella will cover for me
My dearest niece from Barsa
A bride and a ray of sunshine
To you I will say it once:
You and Micho are forever in my heart
You are not only my niece
But also my only daughter
Congratulations my dearest daughter.
**