My beloved brother Marcel

To the soul of my beloved brother Marcel Sarkis Baini (Charbel’s father)
Beloved brother...What an agony!

1
When our heart weeps
Our brains stop, laughter is switched off
We become painfully strayed
Pain renders us speechless.
2
When night after night
We feel the savage knives
Cut through our heart
We call on the Lord
No one answers
The agonizing words
Freeze on our lips.
3
My brother is in a different world
Like an extinguished church candle
It burns deep into my heart
How can I drink this bitter cup?
4
I couldn’t believe you’d do this to us
You were always loving, truthful and generous
Your tenderness was overwhelming
Why then, you caused us all this pain?
5
Why tell me why, the surprise?
You were like the moon waning quietly
And your unduly farewell
Caused your loved ones lots of grieve.
6
And laure, whose madness reached heaven
Eyes burning, eyes erupted like a volcano
A weeping tree inside your home
Her branches are totally broken.
7
Charbel your son, who carries my name
He kneeled and kissed your feet
Thus making even the breeze weep
The burning flame in his heart
His kiss became an eternal seal.
8
And Joseph your son and neighbour
With a bowed head and a curbed back
When he passes by, I see you in him
We share together a neighbourly cry.
9
Natalie and Claire, your two girls
I wish you could see them now
They are two eyes wiping one another
When shouting your name, I fear for them
The shout has inflamed both their hearts.
10
Your brothers could not bear the shock
You were the youngest and they are sore
They implore the Virgin to look upon them
Their spoken words have turned to stones.
11
My dear brother and Charbel’s father
Your departure is a painful cry
To all your relatives and friends
For you they came from near and far
Lebanon grieved and Mejdlaya wept you.
12
A son and a brother-in-law
To beloved Rechdibbine El Koura
Your picture is proudly engraved
And framed in eternal pledges.
Within the heart of one and all.
13
Now, how am I going to pass my time?
And how can I ever forget you/
While you were my world
I pray unceasingly to all the saints
And you passed, I got angry with God.
14
God only knows why all this anger
Your passing is hard for any human
You and I were like identical twins
For God’s sake, keep this picture alive.
15
Tell me how to bid you farewell
You always sweetened my bitterness
I’ll close my eyes watching your smile
And every time I think of you, I shall pray.