My aunt Sayde

Dedicated to the soul of my aunt Sayde Baini

A long life God blessed you with
so that we can all have time to love you,
Our love aged in your heart.
O Sayde, my beloved aunt!
Back home, Bakhos your hero still awaits,
in Lebanon his name is a legend,
and you never left his sight.
Your sons and your daughters
enlighten your humble house,
with purity you have raised them,
protecting all the family’s values
boldness and piety reside within your walls,
our God in heaven attests to my words.
2
Dear aunt, times are treacherous,
Robbing the loved ones of your family
Yolla, before farewelling her children, cried:
“O father, the walls of our home crumbled”
She faded away like a shadow;
we still mourn her passing now,
And Bakhos my uncle the hero
martyred to protect our mighty Cedars.
and Joseph your son-in-law,
stolen from amongst his loved ones
like a dream, no one could figure out how.
And Carlos, your endeared grandchild
with his echoing laughter,
he lived briefly like a rose
and died early in his spring.
Marcel my brother, what an agony!
it filled my heart with burning flames
up there you will be comforted
by loved ones who were once here
and now a tolling memory.
We lived with them in harmony,
you loved us dearly child and man.
Dear aunt, your love was our asset.
with every morning sun.
We pray God to rest your soul.
I cannot say, you have passed away
You are a mother pure at heart
I refuse to accept a mother’s death
but I will certainly say:
you went to heaven for a stroll.